Task: Reimagine and redesign a digital project of your choice.
For this task, I picked Craigslist. Craigslist is a great tool that is widely used but it is... pretty ugly. It looks like a website I built in Web Design 101. A couple months ago, my husband and I were looking for a new apartment and used craigslist to find rentals. While I found some listings on Craiglist, I found myself preferring other sites like Trulia and Padmapper, because of the visually pleasing design and the great UX. Craigslist is such a great tool but I believe it can be even better by improving the user experience and giving it a little (big?) facelift. My goal of this re-design is respecting the simplicity of Craigslist while giving it a modern updated look.
ISSUES WITH CURRENT DESIGN...
- Organization - There is some organization here, by category, but it's hard to find what you want.
- Functionality - Search is EVERYTHING. Most people do a search when they come to Craigslist. Search bar needs to be more prominent, rather than tucked in the left.
- Flow - Switching cities isn't as easy as it should be.
- Filter - Filter needs to be decluttered and organized better.
- Organization - Using iconography makes it easier to find the category you are looking for. I also made sure the columns had enough white space as well as leading for the content to be breathable.
- Functionality & Flow - Search bar is on the top. It also includes location. This avoids all the clicking to switch cities.
- Filters - Moved Filters from the left to the top to save space. Results are updated in real-time as you make a selection.
- Information Hierarchy - Important content (i.e. photo, price, posting date) is easy to scan and are in the same place for every listing.